Parts of the Hyde Park neighborhood planning area have special protective zoning in place:
- Hyde Park has two neighborhood conservation combining districts (NCCDs). A neighborhood conservation combining district preserves and protects older neighborhoods (substantially built over 30 years ago) by allowing modifications to applicable development regulations in accordance with a neighborhood plan.
- Most of Hyde Park south of 45th Street has a local historic district (LHD). A local historic district is a geographically-defined area that possesses a significant concentration of buildings united by their history, architecture, or both. A local historic district offers the strongest protection and greatest benefit for older neighborhoods through design standards and review.
Hyde Park Neighborhood Planning Area
(38th Street to 51st Street, Guadalupe Street to Red River Street)
- Hyde Park Neighborhood Plan, adopted April 13, 2000 by the Austin City Council as an amendment to the City’s adopted master plan. This document sets out policy for both private development and public infrastructure. Every area with a neighborhood plan also has a city-mandated Contact Team responsible for working for the implementation of its Neighborhood Plan.
- Hyde Park Design Guidelines, adopted as part of the Hyde Park Neighborhood Plan. These apply to all parts of Hyde Park that are not included in the Hyde Park Local Historic District.
Hyde Park South of 45th Street
(38th Street to 45th Street, Guadalupe Street to Duval Street)
- Hyde Park Local Historic District Design Standards, adopted December 16, 2010 by Austin City Council and effective December 26, 2010. This applies to most of the area south of 45th Street. See the LHD map for exact boundaries. It includes design standards intended to preserve the historic character of the area. All building and remodeling projects within the LHD area must be reviewed by the Historic Landmark Commission. For a map of the Local Historic District, see Local Historic District.
- Hyde Park Neighborhood Conservation Combining District (Hyde Park NCCD). This sets out standards for residential property for the original Hyde Park neighborhood, for example, forbids garages on the fronts of buildings, sets height limits to 30′ (not 35′), and zones most of the houses as SF3 (often changed from MF3 or MF4).
- Amendments to Hyde Park NCCD
Ordinance No. Date Effective Purpose of Ordinance Ordinance No. 20080522-044 Effective June 2, 2008 This adds a vertical mixed-use building combining district to the Hyde Park NCCD, including primarily parts of Guadalupe Street. Ordinance No. 20080522-061 Effective June 2, 2008 This adds a vertical mixed-use building combining district at 4000 Avenue B to the Hyde Park NCCD. Ordinance No. 20080605-062 Effective June 16, 2008 This rezones the Kocurek building at 511 West 41st Street. Ordinance No. 20120112-086 Effective January 23, 2012 This amends general provisions of the original ordinance.
- Hyde Park National Register District. All building and remodeling projects within the NRD area are subject to a non-biding review by the Historic Landmark Commission.
- The Hyde Park Design Guidelines apply to all properties not in the Hyde Park Local Historic District.
Hyde Park North of 45th Street
(45th Street to 51st Street, Guadalupe Street to Red River Street)
- North Hyde Park Neighborhood Conservation Combining District (North Hyde Park NCCD), effective August 29, 2005. This sets out standards for property for the area north of 45th Street.
- Amendments to North Hyde Park NCCD
Ordinance No. Date Effective Purpose of Ordinance Ordinance No. 20051006-Z018 Effective October 6, 2005 This adds 609 Fairfield Lane. Ordinance No. 20050929-073 Effective October 10, 2005 This adds 4505 Duval Street to the NCCD. Ordinance No. 20070308-040 Effective March 19, 2007 This allows hospital services-limited use at 4611 Guadalupe Street. Ordinance No. 20080131-119 Effective February 11, 2008 This rezones the property at 4525 Guadalupe Street. Ordinance No. 20080515-025 Effective May 26, 2008 This adds 100 East 50th Street to the NCCD and rezones it. Ordinance No. 20120112-087 Effective Jan. 23, 2012 This changes general provisions of the original ordinance.
- The Hyde Park Design Guidelines apply to all properties in the area north of 45th Street.